Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Place

I came upon a forgotten place,
filled with age old history.
A tiny hopeful space,
with an ever deepening mystery.

I stood in the crowded middle,
staring at relics of days gone by.
Trinkets to see and gadgets to fiddle,
memories stacked sky high.

I enjoyed the rush as it all came back,
every hour of giddy anticipation.
And saw what I had long come to lack,
a simple child's imagination.

As the memories advanced in time,
I saw my dreams morph and move.
Playful stories of words that rhyme,
to books with dour points to prove.

Dragons and knights faded away,
replaced with suits and briefcases.
And toys with which I would once play,
Settled into dark dusty places.

I saw these things fade to grey,
As my recollections came to a close.
Simple pleasures just went away,
As reality always knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment